The voluntary ICIM certification of products and components intended to come into contact with drinking water is dedicated to all manufacturers of products and components that come into contact with water intended for human consumption, to prevent non-standard risks of substance releases, to guarantee quality and wholesomeness. By way of example, manufacturers of pipes, hydraulic pumps, valves, fittings and various components, taps, tanks for containing and heating domestic hot water, treatment systems.
The compliance audits conducted by a third-party body allow companies to demonstrate to the market the correct compliance with the legislative requirements of their production processes and the materials used.
ICIM has developed a proprietary scheme for voluntary product certification.
A scheme, recognised by ACCREDIA, which follows the same principles that underlie the revision of the national Regulation on “materials and items that can be used for collecting, treating, supplying and distributing drinking water”.
The revision of the Regulation, now underway, will give the possibility to bring Italian legislation closer to that developed by some European States, to establish common parameters of admissibility of materials and products in contact with water intended for human consumption, with the aim of facilitating the correct application of the European Directive 98/83/EC – Drinking Water Directive (DWD) – whose compliance often makes the free movement of goods between the various countries difficult.
- Document analysis of the manufacturing process and of the products subject to certification.
- Analysis of materials and identification of possible substance releases through specific laboratory tests.
- Audits to assess the adequacy of the specific production processes (selection and management of suppliers, production process control plan, equipment used, correct identification of the intended final use, traceability, etc.).
- Issue of the certificate downstream of the successful results of the audits and laboratory tests conducted at TIFQLab, an ISO 17025 certified laboratory accredited by ACCREDIA for the tests in question.
The annual surveillance audits and the related tests on a representative sample of the materials enable to verify that the requirements of the ICIM certification scheme are maintained throughout the 5-year validity period of the certification.
WHY CERTIFY PRODUCTS AND COMPONENTS INTENDED TO COME INTO CONTACT WITH DRINKING WATER
The audits to verify the compliance of the product manufacturing process and the selection of the relative materials prevents the risks caused by possible non-standard substance releases, to guarantee the quality and wholesomeness of water intended for human consumption, and therefore used for the preparation of food, beverages and other uses.
The intervention of an independent third-party body allows companies to demonstrate to the market the correct compliance with the legislative requirements of their production processes and the materials used, also in anticipation of future regulatory harmonisation.
- Consolidated experience gained in product certification and management systems, enabling to offer qualified professional skills and knowledge of legislation and applicable regulations.
- Technical comparison and continuous collaboration with ANIMA, the Italian Federation of Associations of Mechanical and Engineering Industries, whose members are subject to the applicable regulations.
- Support of an accredited laboratory of proven reliability and competence.