Road traffic safety is a global issue. Road traffic accidents and workplace accidents are closely related: in Italy more than half of the workplace accidents recorded by the INAIL statistics form part of road traffic or in transit categories, with or without means of transport. Alongside the growing attention to occupational health and safety, which has seen an increase in laws and decrees over the past few years, with the increase in road traffic, road safety awareness has also grown, by institutions as well as road users. ISO 39001 certification provides a comprehensive approach to Road Safety.
Simultaneously the growing awareness of occupational safety has seen an increase in laws, decrees and guidelines in recent years, while a specific regulation capable of improving road safety was lacking. ISO 39001 filled this gap by providing a global Safe System approach to road safety. The standard identifies elements of good road safety management practice with a clear and unambiguous focus on results and on evidence-based actions, supported by an adequate organizational management capacity.
THE ISO 39001 STANDARD – ROAD TRAFFIC SAFETY (RTS) MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
ISO 39001 does not specify technical or quality requirements in the transport of products and services, nor does it enter into the merits of road signs, lighting or safety devices, factors for which reference legislation already exists. It is a system standard, for which accession is voluntary, which is based on the logic of the Plan-Do-Check-Act, like all ISO standards for management systems.
The organization that intends to obtain certification must assess the interactions of its processes with the transport and road safety system, verify its own levels of exposure to risk and take actions, with appropriate internal checks, in order to reduce the possibilities of being involved in a road traffic accident.
TO WHOM IS THE ISO 39001 STANDARD ADDRESSED?
The standard is addressed to all the organizations that interact with the road transport system, from the public and private sector (including certification bodies for the purpose of assessing the organization’s ability to meet the requirements).
To any organization that has employees circulating with company vehicles for work purposes. For example:
- Public and private transport companies;
- Companies with offices/sector: logistics, rental and warehouses;
- Civil engineering, transport and logistics companies;
- Ministries, Regions, Provinces and Municipalities (sectors: transport, traffic, security, mobility, urban planning, education);
- ANAS and motorway concession companies (sectors: transport, traffic, security, mobility, urban planning, education);
- Emergency medical care and emergency.
WHY SHOULD YOUR TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT SYSTEM BE CERTIFIED?
Bodies/Organizations, thanks to the implementation of a road safety management system, will be able to:
- include road safety policies within their already established policies;
- reduce and, in the long term, eliminate death and serious injury following road accidents;
- promote the development of road transport systems capable of further mitigating the consequences arising from human error;
- implement different strategies to prevent accidents and to mitigate their consequences (speed limits, safety barriers, etc.);
- contribute to building a “shared responsibility” ethic with regard to road safety issues, sharing a common approach with the different players of the road transport system;
- reduce insurance premiums.
The Road Traffic Safety management system can be integrated or made compatible with the Quality, Environment and Safety management systems.
ICIM is a body accredited by ACCREDIA for certification of Traffic Management Systems – ROAD TRAFFIC SAFETY (RTS) MANAGEMENT SYSTEM- according to the ISO 39001 standard.
For further information: Edoardo Dossena (phone +39 02 72534259, e-mail email@example.com)
To find out about our certification services of Management Systems: